The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is an international university of applied sciences for Fine Arts and Design in Amsterdam (NL). It is home to a close-knit, international community of students from across the world. Students and teachers jointly create a learning environment that brings together thinking and doing and where unexpected, innovative ideas are born.
This frontpage is weekly curated by a different student, department or alumnus presenting work in progress or in its final phase. Book the front page.
Calendar Add to calendar
- Wanting to share the written word to a broader public, the Rietveld Journal realized there was a lack of possibilities to do so at the Gerrit Rietveld Academy. To fill in this gaping hole, we aim to present a new platform for all printed matters. Giving Rietveld and Sandberg students an opportunity to share their works with a broader public in- and outside the academy.
All full-time students follow a general first year called Basicyear and choose a specialisation for in-depth study during the following three years: Architectural Design, designLAB, Fashion, Graphic Design, Jewellery - linking bodies, TXT (Textile), Ceramics, Fine Arts, The Large Glass, Beeld en Taal, Photography or VAV - moving image.
The Rietveld Academie also offers a part-time Bachelor's programme called DOGtime with two specialisations: Unstable Media and Expanded Painting. Besides this, we offer two preparatory courses: the Preparatory Course and the Orientation Course. Master’s degree programmes are offered at the Sandberg Instituut.
The academy has twenty workshops at its disposal. Some of these are for general use and others are specific to particular departments. The workshops enable students to experiment with different techniques and materials and provide the opportunity to learn to use professional equipment. They form the very heart of the academy.
- The second issue of the Rietveld Journal, who will be published in the beginning of December, is being designed by graphic designers Juliette Lepineau and Itziar Domingo. Once again, we invite the whole Rietveld and Sandberg community to send in their contributions and once again morph blank sheets of paper into a beautiful landscapes of minds.
- Overduinprijs 2019 for Fieke Ruitinga
- New RietveldTV episode by SAUCE: The Fashion show
- Tobias Groot appointed as Photographer in Residence for the HvA