Students from all non-EU/EEA countries are OBLIGED to apply for a residence permit through the International Office of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie to study in the full-time bachelor program. They cannot study in our part-time program, unless they already have a valid residence permit for the Netherlands which allows for studying.

Non-EU/EEA students applying for 2024-2025 have to have a provable amount of at least EUR 23.400,- on their bank account to apply for their residence permit! This amount increases every year and depending on the annually determined tuition fees. For more information, read here

How can a residence permit be obtained?

Students cannot apply for a residence permit themselves, only the academy can. Therefore students need to provide the academy on time with all required data, documents and payments by closely following the steps below.

Step 1

After you have been admitted to the academy you will receive a message via Osiris what documents you need to upload.

Step 2

All required documents must be scanned and uploaded, so the International Office can check them and approve them. Some of the required documents:

  • Valid passport at the time of registration and, if MVV mandatory, still valid for at least 6 months after issue of MVV sticker.                                                          Excluded from an MVV (entry visa) are: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United Kingdom, Unites States and Vatican City;

  • Valid proof of sufficient financial means to show that you can support yourself in the Netherlands for a year and can pay the tuition fees. For the 2024-2025 academic year, non-EU/EEA bachelor students must prove they have EUR 23.400,- in their bank account (the tuition fee + 12 times the minimum legal monthly standard amount for residence and study of EUR 1.217,-).                                                                                                                                                     

  • Proof of payment of the fees (EUR 228,- in 2024) for the residence permit application;

  • Proof of health insurance with sufficient coverage (minimum EUR 30.000,-) and validity in the Netherlands.

Step 3

When all documents are approved and complete and the IND fees are paid, your application for the residence permit is submitted to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

Step 4

After the application for your residence permit is submitted, the International Office will keep you informed of every step in the process.


Do you have any remaining questions? Then please contact international[at]