A sketch for a sigil of a new fantasy character that I made this period.
One half of the receptionist team
1. What are you currently working on?
"I’m at home working, on basically everything at the same time. I can’t exactly recommend that in terms of efficiency, but planning somehow just emphasizes the futility of it all. At least it keeps me occupied. I am currently working only one day a week at the Rietveld Academie now, where my job is also stripped of most of the fun parts. It is really nice to see some of the people though."
2. What has changed for you now that the Rietveld buildings are closed for classes and meetings?
"At the start of all this having to show up and work gave me some stress, as normally it involves quite some interaction and exchange with people. I just wanted to stay in quarantaine. But now we streamlined it more with less interaction, so I’m good. It also made me realize I’m quite lucky to have a job that doesn’t immediately get rid of me in this situation, like of course my freelance jobs did…."
3. And what is staying the same?
"Paying rent (angry about this!) allergies, sunburns, bad habits, not knowing what to get for someone’s birthday, being worried about the future."
4. Do you have a tip to make these isolating times a little but more joyful?
"- Don’t forget communicating, people seem to just assume stuff even more often than normally. Maybe thinking out loud helps, whether it’s by writing or video call.
- Grow something, anything. You can care for it and it doesn’t relate to any problems.
- Explore the smaller parks on the outskirts of Amsterdam, or bike to Spaarnwoude or Twiske
- Call or mail the Rietveld on Thursdays because I like a little chat."
Find more on our Instagram