The Netherlands, 1993
You've got to play the cards you're dealt*
Conversations on typographic choices
Amble Ramble of Two Looky-loos
By Jeanne Viviès & Geke Zaal
No. 7 – A carpet store called Mozaïek.
- A handsome guy with a huge textile bag.
- A ‘denim on denim’ woman.
- A man and a woman.
- On the street, a man on a bike does a 180-degree turn.
- A guy at no. 9—a grocery store—stands calling in the door frame.
- A woman.
- A woman with a tompouce-patterned bag.
- Two men at no. 9 start moving huge piles of cardboard fruit and vegetable boxes.
- A man.
- A white van.
- A small empty plastic plant pot falls down a balcony and rolled down the sun-blind of the store at no 9.
- A guy comes out on to the balcony at no. 7 and sits down on a chair, swings his legs on the red fence, and lights a cigarette.
- Three women cross the street.
- A car beeps while going backwards.
- A man on a longboard rides on the pavement on the opposite side of the street.
- A man puts trash in the trash bins in front of no. 9.
- A woman with a wheeled walker.
- A woman with a baby in a baby carrier.
- A woman with a stroller.
- Sound of glass being dropped in the glass trash.
- A man with Gucci shoes and EarPods passes by, stands still in front of no. 7, takes something out of his wallet, and continues.
- A man walks up to the tomatoes of no. 9, takes a look and walks away.
- A man with a plastic bag filled with fruits.
- A couple. They stare into the carpet store and walk away.
- A man passes by, walks a few steps back, takes a look at the fruit stand, and continues.
- The woman with the trolley case from the cafe.
- A man.
- A scooter.
- A red bike.
- More bikes.
- A couple.
- Two small laughing kids are running. Their parents with strollers follow.
- Chatting continues.
- A man with a beer and a man with a ciggy.
excerpt from Amble Ramble of Two Looky-loos
Signage System for the Rietveld & Sandberg Library
a collaboration between Geke Zaal and Sissel Vejby Møller
"Soft Dewey, chewy Dewey, gooey Dewey" — E.J.