The Gerrit Rietveld Academie has an international network of foreign art academies with which it has agreed bilateral exchange contracts. Students from these academies can apply to do an exchange for a maximum of one semester at one of our educational departments, so long as they meet the conditions that are outlined at the bottom of this page.
Each academic year is divided into two semesters:
- Semester 1 (Autumn semester): 1 September - 31 December;
- Semester 2 (Spring semester): 1 January - 31 August.
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is affiliated with the Erasmus programme. If your academy is also affiliated with the Erasmus programme, you may be eligible for an Erasmus scholarship. Please contact your academy’s exchange coordinator for more information about this.
Estimated period of exchange (first day to be present until the last day to be present:
- AUTUMN SEMESTER: the estimated class period runs from 1 September to 18 December 2020. We start with an introduction day for all new students on 27 August, 2020.
- SPRING SEMESTER: the estimated class period runs from 4 January to 5 July 2021. The graduation exhibition is open from 1 to 5 July 2021.
The academy has a limited number of rooms available for exchange students. If you are admitted for an exchange semester at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie, it is possible to make a reservation via the International Office to rent a room. You can also search for a room yourself.
During your exchange, you continue to be registered at your home institution and pay tuition fees there. You do not pay any tuition fees to the institution that is hosting the exchange. However, you should allow for the cost of accommodation, maintenance and additional study costs, such as excursions.
Admission procedure for semesters academic year 2020-2021
To assess your suitability for our exchange programme, you need to upload your portfolio using the portfolio machine. You will need to fill in your personal details using the online portfolio machine and also upload the necessary documents there. To become eligible, you have to fill out a login request first. The link to the login request form is only available between 5 March and 15 April 2020, so is no longer available! Late requests will not be processed anymore.
Proof of English proficiency
Candidates need to provide proof of English proficiency during the application process. We accept:
- a copy of your European high school/secondary school diploma, with English as exam subject (before 1 May 2020), or
- your academic IELTS certificate, with minimum overall band schore of 6.0, with at least 6.0 for Speaking (IELTS before 1 May 2020 at the latest, or
- proof that English is your mother tongue (f.e. a copy of your passport, or high school diploma of English speaking country), which has to be submitted with your portfolio application.
NOTE: we do not accept TOEFL!
Application deadlines for semesters 2020-2021
- Send a login request for online portfolio machine from: 5 maart 2020.
- Deadline to send your login request: 15 April 2020.
- Deadline for submitting your portfolio, Autumn semester 2020-2021: 1 May 2020.
- Deadline for submitting your portfolio, Spring semester 2020-2021: also 1 May 2020.
NOTE: our Fashion department cannot accept any exchange students, and an exchange at the departments of Fine Arts and Architectural Design is only possible in the 1st semester.
- You are studying as a bachelor student at one of the art academies with which the Gerrit Rietveld Academie has an exchange agreement
- You have written permission from your academy to apply for an exchange semester
- Your portfolio is complete and submitted prior to the deadline
- Your portfolio is approved by our admissions board
- For non-EU candidates, it is compulsory to apply for a residence permit via the International Office of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie (you can find more information here).
The Holland Scholarship is a scholarship made available by the Dutch Ministry of Education Culture and Science together with Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. It is meant for students who want to study, do research or an internship outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA consists of the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.