The Gerrit Rietveld Academie has an international network of foreign art academies with which it has agreed bilateral exchange contracts. Students from these academies can apply to do an exchange for a maximum of one semester at one of our educational departments, so long as they meet the conditions that are outlined at the bottom of this page.
The academic year is divided into two semesters. The autumn semester runs from 1 September to 31 December, and the spring semester runs from 1 January to 31 August.
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is affiliated with the Erasmus programme. If your academy is also affiliated with the Erasmus programme, you may be eligible for an Erasmus scholarship. Please contact your academy’s exchange coordinator for more information about this.
The academy has a limited number of rooms available for exchange students. If you are admitted for an exchange semester at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie, it is possible to make a reservation via the International Office to rent a room. You can also search for a room yourself.
During your exchange, you continue to be registered at your home institution and pay tuition fees there. You do not pay any tuition fees to the institution that is hosting the exchange. However, you should allow for the cost of accommodation, maintenance and additional study costs, such as excursions.
To assess your suitability for our exchange programme, you need to upload your portfolio using the portfolio machine. You will need to fill in your personal details using the online portfolio machine and also upload the necessary documents there.
Request log-in details for our online portfolio machine here. Note: this link is only available between 15 January and 1 April 2018.
- You can send a login request for online portfolio machine starting from: 15 January 2018.
- You have to send in your login request before the deadline of: 1 April 2018
- Deadline for submitting your portfolio, autumn semester 2018-2019: 1 May 2018.
- Deadline for submitting your portfolio, spring semester 2018-2019: also 1 May 2018.
- You are studying at one of the art academies with which the Gerrit Rietveld Academie has an exchange agreement
- You have written permission from your academy to apply for an exchange semester
- Your portfolio is complete and submitted prior to the deadline
- Your portfolio is approved by our admissions board
- For non-EU candidates, it is compulsory to apply for a residence permit via the International Office of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie (you can find more information here).
The Holland Scholarship is a scholarship made available by the Dutch Ministry of Education Culture and Science together with Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. It is meant for students who want to study, do research or an internship outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA consists of the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.