The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is looking for a:
Head of TXT for 16 hours per week (0.4 fte)
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is an independent university of applied sciences that houses the Bachelor of Fine Arts and Design program with 14 different specialisations. In addition, the academy offers five master's degree programs and a varying number of temporary master's degree programs; these are provided by the Sandberg Institute. The organization is characterized by an international and strongly decentralized character with responsibilities and authorities close to the education itself.
The TXT department
The textile department at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie is called TXT. The abbreviation stands for textile but also for text. Both words stem from the Latin word for weaving, tessere. Within the department, the relationship between materiality and the written word is carefully examined. This makes TXT a department of making and thinking, head and hand.
Textile is everywhere: as an everyday material, as a network or system. The applications are endless. To map the historical, aesthetic, social, political and material value of textiles, theory, philosophy, reading and writing play an important role.
In addition to conceptual thinking, students learn techniques such as weaving, knotting, knitting and printing and how to translate them into different domains. Students work on both individual projects and shared research questions. Their experiments can result in new materials, autonomous work or other forms such as an essay, lecture or intervention in public space.
The goal is to guide the approximately 30 students to become independent makers with their own signature. With the knowledge and skills they have acquired, they can start an independent practice after graduating or continue their studies in a master's program.
The teachers - designers, thinkers and artists from the field - challenge the students for three years to reflect on their own work in relation to the outside world. A unique curriculum has been built up since 2004, which is permanently being refined.
The head of TXT occupies a central position in relation to students, faculty and the Executive Board on the implementation of the program. You will lead a small team of about 7 lecturers and an assistant. All this within an international context, approximately 60% of the participants are from abroad.
Together with your team you are responsible for educational planning and programming, taking into account the social environment. You will also be required to contribute to the multi-year development for the teaching and support of the academy as a whole. Providing education with input from your own expertise and vision from your own professional practice is an essential component of the job. In various forms of work, you will guide students in their development into independent artists and designers.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The Head of TXT:
• Is responsible for the content development of the program components;
• Plans the various program components into an annual schedule;
• Creates a clear image to students what the graduate program looks like;
• Takes care of the staffing in qualitative and quantitative terms;
• Is responsible for the departmental budget;
• Provides internal and external information, including the annual development of the website and organizing the open day;
• Gives guidance to the assistant and teachers about the division of tasks and responsibilities and works with workshop managers;
• Initiates proposals for projects, exhibitions and field trips;
• Oversees the method of assessment and its reporting;
• Provides feedback and support to students on progress and direction of personal development along with the teaching team;
• Represents the department in the media, or at external venues;
• Conducts admissions.
• Specialized knowledge and understanding of developments in the field of visual arts and design, based on personal experience in a professional practice of your own;
• Social, connecting and communicative;
• You can effortlessly connect thinking and making;
• Brings in your own network and knows how to use it qualitatively within education;
• Knowledge and understanding of developments within higher education;
• Skills in developing, communicating and defending educational policies, positions, new ideas, educational programming;
• Skills in designing and organizing educational implementation in accordance with policy and programming;
• Leading enthusiastic professionals and working as part of a team;
• Experience with and knowledge of diversity and inclusiveness in relation to the target group;
• Teaching skills: so you can challenge, surprise and activate students;
• Command of the Dutch language in understanding and the English language in word and writing;
• Preferably a relevant academic education;
Terms of employment
The position is classified in job scale 13, according to the cao-hbo (maximum € 6.202,13,- gross per month for a full-time appointment excluding 8% vacation pay and a 13th month) and depends on education and work experience. There are also various development opportunities, such as obtaining a master's or a didactic degree. This is an appointment for one year in the first instance and will be extended if it works well. This position has a maximum term of 8 years.
For more information, please contact Mirna Kramer, HR Advisor at mirna.kramer[at]rietveldacademie.nl.
Applications accompanied by a motivation letter of maximum 2 pages and a curriculum vitae can be addressed to Ben Zegers, Director Bachelor Education, at personeelszaken[at]rietveldacademie.nl.
The application period closes on Sunday, May 9, 2021.
• This vacancy concerns a salaried position. If you are a non-EU national, it is important that you have the appropriate work permit 'work freely permitted';
• The Gerrit Rietveld Academie strives for a broader representation of its staff, students, partners and programs that reflects the diversity of the city. Anyone who thinks they can contribute to this is expressly invited to apply;
• This vacancy is published simultaneously internally and externally. In case of equal suitability, internal candidates have priority over external candidates;
• Acquisition is not appreciated.