From 1 September 2019 the Gerrit Rietveld Academie is seeking a:
Head of department Architectural Design for 16 hours a week
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is an independent university of applied sciences offering a Fine Arts and Design Bachelor’s programme with 14 different specialisations. The academy also offers five permanent Master’s programmes and a varying number of additional Master’s programmes on a temporary basis; these are provided by Sandberg Instituut. The organisation has an international and strongly decentralised character with responsibilities and powers that lie close to the actual teaching.
The Architectural Design department
The Architectural Design department focuses primarily on the relationship between space and people and society. Students learn to apply a spatial perspective to the world, now and in the future. They work at the interface between art and architecture and are encouraged to convey their ideas artistically, experimentally and functionally. Through theory and by developing their own work, students learn about spatial design in the broadest sense of the word: buildings, interiors, urban design, public space, scenography, furniture, exhibition design and material research. At the same time, the lecturers - designers and artists working in the field - challenge students to reflect upon their own work in relation to the world at large.
The aim is to train the ±30 students to become independent designers at the interface between architecture & art, with their own perspective and position with regard to the discipline and society. With the knowledge and expertise they acquire, they can set up an independent practice or continue more focused study on a Master’s degree programme after graduation.
The position occupies a central role in relation to the students, lecturers and the Executive Board with the teaching practice. You will be in charge of a small team of approximately 10 lecturers and an assistant. Together with your team you are responsible for the planning and curriculum of teaching for the department, taking into account social and contextual factors. You will also be expected to contribute to the long-term development of the teaching and to the support of the academy as a whole. Teaching activities making use of your own insight and vision from your professional practice are an important component of this position. You use a range of working methods to guide your students in their development to become independent designers.
• You have specialised knowledge and understanding of developments in the field of architectural design and the professional practice.
• A broad theoretical knowledge and understanding of political, social and labour-market developments in relation to art and architecture.
• Knowlegde and understanding of diversity and inclusivity in relation to art and architecture.
• You have a network beyond the established field of architecture.
• Preferably a relevant academic qualification.
• Knowledge and understanding of developments within higher education.
• Skilled in developing, propagating and defending education policy, viewpoints, new ideas, the teaching curriculum.
• Skilled in organising and implementing teaching in accordance with the policy and curriculum.
• Able to lead enthusiastic professionals and work within a team context.
• You possess teaching skills that enable you to challenge, surprise and motivate students.
Click here to read the complete vacancy.